Spiritually speaking, we believe that there is no more transformational process for an organization than a capital campaign! That’s right, a capital campaign!
There are several reasons for this.
- Prepare to be attacked! You are working to build something that will help grow the Kingdom, and Satan doesn’t like this.
- Partner engagement is extraordinary. You are involving a significant number of volunteers who transform into long-term champions for the ministry.
- Campaigns are exhausting. Like a marathon, (depending on your organization and campaign goal) your campaign will last between 18 and 24 months, plus the payout period for pledges.
- Expect the unexpected. While the structure of all campaigns are somewhat consistent, every one is completely unique with their own unique challenges (which is why an experienced consultant is essential to your success).
- All hands on deck. Virtually every stakeholder in your ministry will be touched by a campaign, which creates new opportunities AND challenges.
- Broaden your mission. Capital campaigns are often the first time that externally focused ministries realize the spiritual impact they can have on the stakeholders of their organizations.
- Change the life of your financial partners. We know that our heart always follows our pocketbook (Matt. 6:21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also) which is why capital campaigns are an incredible opportunity to transform the hearts of those who may not be investing in eternal places.
Yes, we’ve led many successful campaigns, but that’s true for every consulting firm you talk with.
How Inspiritous is different:
- We believe that capital campaigns are not about the money, but the heart of the giver.
- Our focus is on transforming lives for Christ through the process of giving.
- We’re specialists! We only work with open-constituency, Christ-centered ministry organizations (as opposed to church congregations, and other not-for-profits).
- We’re professionals. In addition to the CFRE, we write, speak, teach and train other professionals (e.g. Association of Fundraising Professionals) about how to raise funds from donors who are inclined to give to Kingdom works.
Consulting your campaign: What we do:
- Assist in developing a written case that will be necessary to guide the campaign inform the development of supporting collateral material used in presentations of the Campaign to the prospective donors.
- Establish a framework for the Campaign, including timelines, committee requirements and job descriptions for all Campaign leaders and volunteers.
- Develop and coordinate the Campaign calendar for all Campaign committees.
- Assist in the identification and enlistment of the initial steering committee that will direct, inform, and guide the campaign’s structure.
- Assist in the identification and enlistment of key Campaign leaders.
- Assist in public relations strategies to be implemented as part of the intensive fund-raising phases of the Campaign. Supervise the development of all Campaign collateral materials.
- Organize and lead the prospect review team to process, identify, evaluate, and strategize individual and collective donor strategies.
- Assist in the development of specific opportunity strategies for donors, as informed by the prospect review process.
- Train all of the Campaign’s personal opportunity teams.
- Assist in the supervision of all Campaign activities and procedures.
- Develop and implement report procedures for volunteers at all levels of the Campaign.
- Serve as a resource to all Campaign leaders.
- Work with Campaign leadership to ensure that Campaign progress is carefully monitored and that the strategies are being tailored or “fine-tuned” as necessitated by Campaign developments.
- Assist in the development of a donor and volunteer recognition program that is biblically consistent and appropriate for the ministry’s culture.
- Help establish and assist in implementing a follow-up program for effective pledge payment and donor records.
What we don’t do:
- Guarantee your $ goal. However, we will help you position your organization to raise as much money as possible.
- Set our fees based on a percentage of dollars raised. Not only is percentage-based compensation unethical, it violates ECFA standards, AFP guidelines, and CFRE requirements.
- Prospect for new donors. Capital campaigns are an opportunity to build on existing relationships, rather than prospecting for new ones. If prospective investors to your campaign have no connection to your ministry or someone connected to it, we are less likely to be successful in acuiring a gift.
- Provide you a list of potential donors. If you don’t have a donor database that is large and deep enough to fund a capital campaign, it would be counterproductive for you to engage in one. We highly recommend a readiness study.
- Bring you a list of new donors from other clients. Your donor-file belongs to you alone which is why, as part of our work agreement, we sign a confidentiality agreement to ensure you that nothing used or collected by us will be used for other clients.
Are you ready?
- Time and attention is key. We will prepare you to be in the best position to reach your goal, however you must be committed to investing the necessary time and attention to this effort.
- Flex those faith muscles. God has all of the money that you need to be successful, but His ways may not be what we think is best. If you can be satisfied with His results, then you are ready to engage in a capital campaign.